Monday, April 12, 2010

Donut-Cake (Get it?)

If you really want to be inspired, see this post. If you want to hear a sad sad story about one of my many failures as a cook, keep reading.

It started out okay.

Batter tasted good (Aside: I'm surprised I haven't gotten salmonella yet, because I've eaten plenty of raw eggs in the form of cake/muffin/brownie batter in my time).


I don't have round cake pans, so I settled for one regular cake and figured it would turn out pretty much the same.


I made some icing (just some concoction of butter, milk, cocoa, and lots of powdered sugar). It was warm and delish.

Cake finished. Looked great. Stuck a fork in it and all that good stuff. Let it cool.

Took it to the counter and...



And my pregnant, hormone-infected body reared its ugly head. I cried. I HATE crying. Never do it if I can help it. Apparently hormones are stronger than willpower. But my cute son came over and hugged me and so did my cute husband and we picked up the pieces and attempted to reassemble the cake.

And, yes, we still ate it. Tasty. Even my husband thought so, who prefers brownies over cake any day.

1 comment:

cal+claire said...

Awww way to be a sweet husband, Jacob.
I had trouble getting mine out of the pan too, no worries. If you make a rectangle cake, since you only have one layer, you don't have to take it out of the pan. Only if you do two layers.
My pans are nonstick, I greased them and floured them and it was still hard to get the cake out!! I did figure out that if you use a springform pan (the kind for cheesecake) than it's easier to get the cake out!