Thursday, July 22, 2010

Flattering and Inappropriate... But Isn't That How It Always Is?

Tycho and I spend a lot of our days at the pool. Fortunately, during the day, the pool is usually a hang-out place for kids under ten. Wednesday was the exception.

Yesterday we went to the pool in mid-afternoon. Instead of the usual crowd of kids, there were 7 or 8 adults (I'm using this term loosely... what I really mean is they were all at least 20 years old) messing around. I thought we'd be okay; it's not really necessary to have other kids around for Tycho to be entertained (he can entertain himself--the luxury of being an only child). However we only stayed for about half an hour. I decided it was time to go when one of the women almost lost her bikini top--a joke, I assume, and a false alarm, but I didn't want to stick around and wait for it to actually happen.

Long story short, we left, but there was a guy hanging out by the exit who was trying to flirt with me (I say trying because I think it takes two to flirt, and I was just trying to ignore him). Anyway, he ended up asking me if I was still with Tycho's father and being disappointed with my answer (YOU BET I AM!!). I'm not sure which I think is more trashy, that he was hitting on me when I had my child in tow, or that he actually asked that question. When I was walking away, I heard one of the girls from his group tell him that, obviously, the girl he was just hitting on is pregnant. He said he didn't care, that I looked good anyway.

So, I was disgusted, and yet... Is it bad to say that I was a little flattered? Sure, it was absolutely inappropriate, and why would I care what a guy like that thinks? I shouldn't enjoy affections like that, but... I AM a girl, and sometimes it seems my self-esteem depends on it. From a purely logical standpoint, I should be completely fulfilled knowing that my husband loves me and finds me attractive, but for some reason when other people say so, it gives an extra boost to my self-esteem.

But, for the record, I was completely disgusted.

1 comment:

cal+claire said...

I CANNOT believe that guy asked you if you were still with Jacob, that is so disgusting! This is how we know that evolution doesn't exist, because he's a cave man and has not developed at all with time. Sick.

I hear that it's flattering to be told you look good though. Loud and clear! I'm not even pregnant and I like that, so I can imagine it feels even better. (I tend to get hit on by 16 year olds so it is also flattering and inappropriate haha)